Thursday, January 7, 2010

...Is this thing on?


*Clearing Throat*... Ladies and Gentlemen, I would like to take a moment to borrow the soapbox. As I was driving to work today I slowly felt my frustration for idiot drivers increase. I don't know if it is because of all the other stress and pressure I have going on today at work, but something snapped. Not so much that I became an irrate bumper car driver. No, just enough to make me honk my horn.

I don't usually honk my horn at people because honestly I sometimes forget that it is there. I usually remember my horn when I accidentally lay on it...talk about embarrassing! Today I honked.

I don't know if many of you out there drive the Bangerter Highway going East bound in the morning. If you don't it is a nightmare. As you are driving East all three lanes of traffic are backed up with people who are trying to wait until the last minute to merge over as far as they can to the left turn lane to go North on I-15. I don't normally have a problem with that, but there comes a time every so often that people just wait so long that by the time I need to go straight to get to work I can't. Everyone is trying to merge to the left and it leaves all three lanes of traffic blocked with those vehicles.

If everyone is in such a hurry to get in front of one another (really does one car make a difference?) then why not wake up 5 or 10 minutes earlier? I don't mind waiting in the left lane so I can get on the freeway. It seems to me that everyone is in such a hurry anymore that they aren't taking the time, or consideration, for those who don't want to get in an accident or did wake up a little early so they could wait their turn.

After driving through this for months I finally snapped. I honked today at a huge F350 crew cab, extended bed and of course a lift. He was in the lane to go South on I-15 and as my lane was clear to go straigh he just suddenly cut in front of me (had to slam on my breaks because he didn't use a blinker to let me know he wanted over) and then he cut infront of another person just to cut infront of one more person to get in the left turning lane. If there was an accident that guy's vehicle would have come away with maybe a scratch, but what about my Jasmine? She would have been hurt beyond anything that I would want to put her through and I haven't even had her a year!

So please be careful and considerate of other people on the road. Is there really that much hurry to put yourself in possible harm? I think not.

Thank you for listening, I will step down from the Soapbox and give it to the next person in line (whoever that might be).

2 comments:

Tina said...

Bangeter is the WORST. I copy Chunga and call it the bloody highway. ESPECIALLY at the I-15 interchange. Talk about every man for himself!

Stapletons said...

SL Driving is pretty crazy sometimes! It took me a while to slow down and not drive so defensively here in AA.
Fun to read your blog!!